This is one of the rewards Victorians gain from having re-elected Labor a week ago. The AEU (of course) strongly endorsed Labor in the recent State election - although they now say the State Government 'exploits them'. With demands like the following it is not hard to see why they feel agrieved. They want:
- A 30% pay increase over 3 years to all teachers.
- An increase in superannuation from 9 to 12%.
- Maximum class siuze to be set at 20 students.
- Reduced use of contract labour in schools which is in excess of 17% in some schools.
- Opposition to merit or performance-based pay
Even by the standards of meat-head, trade unionists these are foolish, ambit claims.